Book Release Date:

Book Release Date: May 2011

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Level 5: Resident Evil: Degeneration

If I'm ever going to talk about Resident Evil on this blog, what better time to do it than on Halloween?

Enthusiastic Gamer: "Yay, zombies!"

First, let me say that the Resident Evil series is a good example of what I'm talking about when I say that not all of the games I mention on this blog or in my book are necessarily for everyone.  Families should rightly be concerned about the content of the games they welcome into their household, and the violence that is present in the RE games is not for the casual or squeamish gamer.

That said, I think it's only fair to point out when games aimed at older audiences manage to nail a solid point of spiritual truth.

Enter Resident Evil: Degeneration.

Befuddled Gamer: "But Degeneration is a movie, not a game!"

True, Degeneration is technically a CG film based on a series of games, not a game in its own right.  Still, since it's so closely related to the games, I think it's worth discussing here.

I am no expert on zombie films, but I know enough to say that Degeneration is about as close to family-friendly as you're ever going to get with this genre.  Yes, it's a bit violent, and there is cursing here and there, but these elements are relatively light when compared with the competition.

So why am I talking about it on the blog?  My reason is simple, and it can be summed up in a single line of dialogue taken from the film.

"If you don't try to save one life, you'll never save any."

There is a sharp line drawn in Degeneration between the self-centered characters who are only interested in their own survival (epitomized by a US senator) and the selfless heroes who will risk it all for the sake of one individual (epitomized by Leon Kennedy, veteran of more than a few zombie attacks).

Leon utters this stirring line of dialogue during a key sequence in the film.  I think it's an awesome expression of the value of each and every human life and a strong encouragement to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (Matthew 7:12).

Looking out for number one is a natural reaction when things get tough, so it takes a special kind of person to hold on to his or her humanity in those situations.  It doesn't have to be a zombie attack, of course!

Jesus once said: "What is the price of five sparrows--two copper coins?  Yet God does not forget a single one of them.  And the very hairs on your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows" (Luke 12:6-7).

In other words, every human life is precious to God.  If you don't value one, you don't value any.

Summary: every human life is worth saving.  Where did I learn that?  From a zombie movie based on a video game!

Who would have thought?

2 comments:

  1. I love that line - it's better than the Batman Returns one everyone quotes. Great post - discerning, powerful, entertaining and no wasted words. Keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was surprised by how much I liked the film, although I'm not normally into horror. That one line made it worth watching.

    I really need to go back and watch those first two Batman films. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen either one, although I'm a pretty big fan of the two most recent ones, especially the Dark Knight. Better add them to my Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete